![]() |
| Amazon / Goodreads / TBD |
Author: Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Romance, Post Apocalyptic, Adventure
Format: Paperback, 376 pages
Source: bought from Powerbooks
Synopsis:
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered.
This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland — known as The Death Shop — are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent energy storms will. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild — a savage — and her only hope of staying alive.
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must come together to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
I was excited to start this series and join the bandwagon because I can’t relate whenever some of my friends talk about this book. I also saw some fandoms on Tumblr which made me more intrigued with this book/series, thinking it must be really good so I bought the whole series and succumb to the hype.
“It's hard to follow a person's logic if you don't know how they feel.”
“The more I try to catch up, the farther I fall behind.”
So there, it started with Aria’s exile to the Death Shop which in turn was the world of the Outsiders or Perry/Peregrine’s world, the male mc. There they met and discovered that they needed each other for their own agendas. From what I understood and in my own terms, Aria came from a future world with eyepiece that creates a pseudo-place for them and Perry lives in the real world were you hunt for your food, feel fear, get hurt and experience real sex. Yes, in Reverie sex was kind of a mind thing, just think and it happens.
“Because people are more than emotions. People have thoughts and reasons for doing things.”
“He kissed her slowly. Everything went slowly so he could follow her temper, and search into her eyes. When they joined, her scent was brave and strong and certain. Perry took it into himself, breathing her breath, feeling what she felt. He'd never known anything as right.”
One thing I liked in this book though was how their names relate to their gifts or talents or abilities. Like Aria, she was described as an exceptional singer and the whole Reverie knew this, hence the name Aria.
Overall, this book did disappoint me and the only thing that made me hold on to this book longer was the love Aria and Perry had. It was sweet and passionate at the same time. And because I already bought the other two books, so yes, I am gonna continue and hope that it will get better in the next two books.
“People can be cruelest to those they love.”
2 out of 5


I gave this book 3/5 stars and like you, I found myself bored (but only sometimes). I was confused by the world too! I just did not buy it, and there needs to be more character development (except for a very few characters [I forgot their names]). This is a book I'm not fangirling on and since I didn't love it either, I don't really need the next two books right now. Hopefully your next read will be better!
ReplyDeleteThank you Leigh, it was hard to like this and the first book felt draggy. Now I know my lack of experience in the genre was not the reason I was confused lol
DeleteAww... I actually loved this series! I guess, it does depend on the reader. As for me, it was an experience. Sometimes, the world-building isn't that important to me. In this first book, I did enjoy their journey. You can say that I am a dystopian buff, that's why I appreciated this one.
ReplyDeleteI saw your rating in Goodreads Dre! I was actually hanging by your rating and that was another thing why I continued reading this series. I was telling myself "this will get better, be patient" lol
Delete